Wednesday, August 22, 2007

My obsession

I'm having trouble formatting this post, and the best way seemed to make bullets...sorry I know that's kind of weird. :)

I sit down to right this post as sort of a confession. For the past 6 days, I've been totally and undeniably addicted...addicted to a world of vampires and werewolves. All because of this simple book: twilight, by Stephenie Meyer.
  • It seemed innocent enough at first. I had read on a lot of other blogs and heard from friends that this book was very good. So, when I was spending a gift card at Deseret Book and saw this book was on sale, without thinking much about it, I decided to get it. I was excited to read the book, but not to the point that I started it right away. It just sat in the bag for a couple days.
  • When I finally did begin the book...I was immediately hooked. The tale that Stephenie Meyer weaves is suspenseful, not necessarily because of the fantasy element, but because the characters are so real, it just feels like they are my friends, or even that it is me. Does this make sense? It didn't help that I immediately fell in love with the vampire. :) Not the kind of love that would get me in trouble with my husband...just the type that leaves you intrigued and wanting everything to work out for him.
  • I have to admit that when I am not reading, I'm often thinking about what has just happened in the book. This is not the first time that I've been hooked on a series...it happened with Work and the Glory, and it also happened with Harry Potter. This is the first time that I've been a mom and been obsessed. I love Mason and make sure that he gets the things that he needs, I feed him, change him, bathe him and play with him. I make sure that we get out. I still do make time to read when he is playing...he usually notices that I'm reading, and he comes up and throws his board books at me until I read them to him. I have to remind myself who the most important one is...and then it's easy to put down my book and read to him. I'm glad that he's getting an early love for reading!
  • I recognized my addiction early on and made rules...I can't read if there are too many dirty dishes, or if the house is too messy. I find myself hurrrying through these menial tasks so that I can get back into the world that seems so much more interesting than anything else right now.
  • After I finished the first book, I couldn't restrain myself from going and getting the second one...the first book leads into the second and I couldn't bear not knowing what was going to happen next. So...if any of you remember the Barnes and Nobel gift card that I found...it was put to good use this week! Mason was sleeping by the time my errands brought me to the bookstore, I should have just gone home and put him down for his nap...but I couldn't resist. I carried my sleeping angel into the store and asked where to find the next book. I was slightly embarassed, I don't really know why, when I was led towards the Teen section.
  • I wasn't under the impression that this book was for teenagers...I know that people of all ages will love it.
  • Anyways, right now I am on book number three, and trying hard to pace myself. (hence this blog, it was one of the things I had to do before I could pick up the book again). I do this because I know that when I am done with this book, I will not be able to rush to the bookstore and pick up the the 4th volume...it is still in the works. So I am trying to savor my time with these characters as much as possible.
I know that I am obsessed...but it's well worth it. Anyone who hasn't read this series...give it a try and let me know what you think!!

15 comments:

Diana said...

Well I forgot that I had to finish some cards to turn in today, so I didn't get to start last night, but I am aiming towards today =) I love the post by the way

Tamie said...

I heard about these books on the Otady Show the other morning. I've got to say that I'm a little intruiged by it as well. Right now I'm in the middle of Eldest, the sequel to Earagon so I think that I might try those next....you've certainly convinced me that I should. :)

AO said...

Hmmmm.. I just got this book on hold at the library to take on our cruise vacation, but maybe I will try and read it before we leave if it's so addicting :) I don't want to just be reading on a cruise! Sounds like a great series from what everyone I know of has told me. Although, I did bring Harry 6 on our first cruise, our honeymoon, and managed to put it down pretty easily ;)

Katie said...

I heard about that book when i was reading a magazine! i might have to read it

Megan said...

I'm addicted as well! I am on the waiting list to get eclipse from the library and its killing me. If I wasn't so darn poor I'd have read it by now. Who knew Vampires were so darn attractive?

Beth said...

This sounds serious. :) I think I'd better stay away from it. I have a tendency to get hooked easily on a good book. I loved reading this post because it's so Kristalyn, and I totally miss you!

Anonymous said...

Hey! my friend I work with told me about this book and she was so obessessed with it too! Now i really better read it, it must be good! Maybe I'll have to borrow it from you! lol anyways, miss ya lots!

Katie said...

Ok, you're like the 50th person I've talked to or read a blog about in the last week who is hooked on this book series. I spent almost my whole visiting teaching time on Wednesday talking about these "vampire romance novels from the teen section" as my visiting teachee puts it (she's a mother of five, by the way, so it's not just you!) I know I need to start on Twilight, but I'm afraid I'll ignore everything else and get obsessed like you. =) Good books do that to me too. But, I don't think I can stay away, this week I'm getting it!!!!!

Douglas, Julie and Family said...

Kristalyn,

I was telling Beth about the Twilight book series and she sent me your blog about it.

I just finished the third book yesterday. I was cracking up when I read your blog because I have been the exact same way about the series. I LOVE THEM. I am not a romance novel reader but thought these books were addicting. I loved the characters and the whole series.

I too fell in love with the vampire... but the warewolf isn't a distant second. He reminds me a bit more of human men who are so lovable.

Anyway, I thought I would drop you a line and say hello. :)

I am trying to set up my own blog page right now. I will send you the link when I get it up. :)

Talk to you soon,

Julie Thackeray Williams

Babzanne Barker said...

Wow! It doesn't sound like a book I would even like, let alone get obsessed over, but if you love it that much I probably won't be able to put it down either. Let me know when Diana has finished reading it!

whitney said...

haha! so many of my friends and family have blogged about being obsessed with these books. i guess i better see what they are all about. :)

Tamie said...

I am 68 out of 68 holds at the library. WooHoo...Twilight here I come (in about six weeks or more...)

Beth said...

I hope you finish these books soon so that you'll have some time to update your blog. :) Just kidding. I ordered the first one on Amazon - I'm waiting for it to arrive...

BJ said...

I was about 5 seconds away from trying to find these books at the library or something until I read what Katie wrote. Something about teenager vampire romance novels...

Hmm....maybe I'll just stick to Tom Clancy!

BJ said...

Congratulations! When do you guys find out what you are having?

Okay Okay...I'll go ahead and read the books. I always did like Jack Weyland...