Thursday, April 10, 2008

Rolling over and C-section aftermath

I was all set to post this on Friday, when Carter turned 2 weeks complete with cute pictures. Of course, the computer decided that now was a good time not to recognize our camera for some reason so I'm not able to load any thing until David can figure it out. I still wanted to post before this became too old of news.

Also, I have to announce the news that on Carter's 2 week birthday...he rolled over! He has always been very active and kicks he feet a lot. David had put him on his stomach for tummy time and it looked like he was really kicking and almost rolling over. We were joking how funny that would be if he actually did. Then...all of the sudden, we looked down, and he was on his back! He had rolled over! I know that it is possible because my mom said that Diana rolled over when she was 2 weeks old, too. Must be a 2nd child thing...trying to keep up with the older sibling or something. :) Anyways, we haven't been able to get him to do it again, but David and I are both witnesses that he did it! :)

Hopefully pictures will be coming soon!

We are so lucky to have 2 wonderful boys! We have definitely not had a dull moment around here and I am thinking that I am not a fan of C-sections!


Last week, I started feeling a terrible pain in my upper abdomen, just under my ribs, on the right side. It hurt to move and the Percocet couldn't quite take it away. I called the doctor and they said it was normal to feel random pains all over after a C-section. Well, the next day, it got to the point that I was in so much pain that all I could do was lay down, and it still hurt even then. Of course, that was after 5 pm, so we couldn't go to the regular doctor. I did call the after hours advice line. They asked me a bunch of questions and said that I could probably wait until the next day to see a doctor, but to come to the emergency room if I developed nausea, a higher fever or a few other symptoms. They said that they were worried that it might be my gallbladder.

Great, that is not what I wanted to hear! Immediately I started worrying about having to have another surgery and be away from my not yet week old baby. Not to mention my precious Mason was just barely trusting me again that I wasn't going away. And then, poor David-he would have to deal with a wife in surgery, a toddler who is refusing to sleep through the night, and an infant that was used to being nursed every few hours. No, a gallbladder surgery would not be good!



The next day I made an appointment with doctor. Diana must have been inspired to offer to take Mason to play with Levi, something that he loves to do, before I even made the appointment. The doctor asked me a bunch of questions and did an exam and said that she ruled out that it was muscular. She said it was more internal--of course that is not what I wanted to hear. She said that we needed to go to the emergency room right away because it was either my gallbladder or her other suspicion was that it was a pulmonary clot. That, of course, did nothing to make me feel better! If it were a clot, they needed to catch it right away, so we had to head down to the hard-to-get-to hospital once again. My only consolation is that the pain did seem to be getting better compared to the day before. I was so glad that Mason could be at Diana's house already and that he loves it there so much.



I ended up having to get a CAT scan. While we were waiting for the results, my dad made a surprise appearance! It was so good to see him and I appreciate so much that he made the long drive to the hospital in the busiest time of the year for him, tax season! He just couldn't stand not knowing what was happening to me. Shortly after he got there, the doctor came in and said that it was not a blood clot, but that the CAT scan showed that there was fluid in my lungs. She said that things get pushed around during a C-section and somehow, excess fluid ended up in my lungs, which explained why it hurt extra when I inhaled. I was very grateful for this diagnosis because the treatment only involved taking deep breaths to try to absorb the fluid, and to take walks for the same reason.



So now here I am, a week later, and the pain under my ribs is pretty much gone, I still can't lay on my either of my sides, but that is about it. Now it's just the incision that is causing me a little pain, but nothing compared to the pulmonary fluid. I am so grateful that it was not something worse and that I am feeling better.

11 comments:

Kim said...

Emilie rolled over in the first few weeks too, so I know it can be done. I believe you. I'm glad that you are feeling better and that you don't have to have any more surgeries. Good luck getting all the way healed. Can't wait for some more pictures.

Beth said...

So I was reading your post and I almost couldn't believe what I was reading, not about your baby rolling over cause I totally believe that, but about the pain and the gallbladder. I had a c-section at the end of February and two weeks last had appendicitis and now I have gallstones and have to have my gallbladder removed on the 24th! Three surgeries in two months! I am so glad for you that it wasn't your gallbladder. And I agree c-sections are NO FUN!!!

AbiAnn said...

That is crazy...same thing happened to me a week after my c-section, and it ended up being my gallbladder. What we women go through for our children. But that which doesn't kill us only makes us stronger...so there are some STRONG women out there!!!

Rudy said...

Oh MAN! That sucks! I'm glad to hear that you didn't have to have anymore abdominal surgies. I'm also glad to hear that you are feeling better finally! C-section recovery sucks!

Diana said...

Reading this just brought back all the scary emotions we all went through that day. I am so glad that everything turned out ok. We loved having Mason over =). That is so cute that Carter rolled over. I need to come see him again soon!

Jill Lewis said...

Kristalyn! I am so sorry you had to go through all of that but am so glad it wasn't more serious. You're right, c-sections are no fun. It is fun to hear about Carter rolling over so soon!

Stephanie said...

I was about to request more pictures, but it seems like you are one step ahead of me, well that is if the computer wasn't giving you trouble. We can't wait to see more of Carter! Hope you are feeling back to normal soon!

Meg said...

How horrible with your C-section. I can't imagine how hard it must have been. Isn't it amazing what we can handle. I just hope it is smooth sailing from here on it for you. I can't wait to see more pictures of Carter and hopefully Mason will start sleeping through the night for you.

Wendy said...

Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy!!! It sounds like it was quite the experience! I swear, it never happens how you think it will. I'm so glad that you and Carter are doing well now with all you've been through. Hope all is well and that you start getting some sleep soon!!! I know I could use some =).

Olivia said...

You are such a trooper Kristalyn. I think its kindof unfair what having babies does to our bodies. My sister Janae has to have her gallbladder out next week. Her baby is 3 months old,so she is a bit nervous. Good thing the little guys are so cute. Im glad your healing up though. I felt like the c-section was so much worse. Best of luck.

Katie said...

Wow, girl! What a crazy experience. I am glad you are getting better and it wasn't something more serious.