Friday, March 21, 2008

A hard night's sleep








As soon as we found out that we were expecting our second, we knew that we wanted to transition Mason to a toddler bed well before the baby's arrival. We knew that Mason would be going through enough changes at that time and probably be feeling jealous, and we didn't want having to give the baby his crib to add to the problems.
David found this really cute Sponge Bob bed that came with a table, stools and toy organizer. He set it up for Mason in December. It wasn't until January that we started trying to transition him, though.
I was nervous about it, but Mason has done really well! He has never liked going down for bed, so it is not unusual for him to cry a little bit and now that he has more freedom, he'll even bang on the door, but I think that there has been only one time that I came in later and found him anywhere but his bed.


A good thing about him being in his bed is that lately, instead of crying, he just plays around in his room before going to sleep, especially in the daytime when it is light.
I know these are a lot of pictures, but I just had to include all of them because I think they are so cute! He loves to read and almost always requests that he have a book in bed with him. These other toys, though, are things that he'll get out of bed after I've left the room and decide that he needs to help him go to sleep.

Every time I look in on him while he's sleeping, I feel so much love and gratitude for my precious little Mason!
























This picture is especially representative of his night time routine. He always has to have his drinks in the exact same spot at the top of his pillow.

14 comments:

Tamera said...

All the pics are great! I had to laugh at all the toys he has with him in bed because Kyla does the same thing. At one point she even brought her toothbrush to bed with her.

Babzanne Barker said...

Well one thing for sure, Mason won't get dehydrated! Cute, cute pictures!!

Diana said...

I just loved this post! Mason is such a cutie. I especially loved the picture of him with his Easter Basket (is that what that was). Also the one with the sippie cups and his head in that blue thing is priceless!

AJ and Cindy said...

Mason is so cute! I can't wait to meet his brother :) I love the sippie cup picture too!

Katie said...

Mason is so adorable :-) Like everyone else, I love the sippy cup picture. Its funny he has to have them all in the same place..he must take after his dad =]

Beth said...

Aw, love all of these pictures of little Mason. He is so cute, and you definitely can't beat the sweetness of a sleeping toddler! It'll be fun to hear how he reacts to his new brother. I'm sure they'll be great buddies! Hoping you're not too terribly uncomfortable and that baby #2 arrives very soon!

Katie said...

Sleeping babies are the best! They always look so angelic. I'm glad switching to a bed has gone so smoothly for you. Sweet dreams, Mason!

Kristin. said...

Your little boy is so cute! If I have a child with a smile like that I'll be very pleased!

kristin.

Emily said...

Mason is so cute. I love pictures of sleeping kids. That's good that he likes his new bed. That will definitely make things just a little bit easier. Hope all is going well. Haven't heard from you in a while.

The Hillan Family said...

Don't they look like little angels when they sleep? He is too CUTE!

Tamie said...

the little ones can be so funny about their cups and where it has to be and what they want in them...that is pretty funny that he's got three lined up by his head.

Meg said...

I love the pictures of him sleeping with toys all over him. That is hilarious. I was the one who didn't want to put Lexie in a bed it was so much easier to let her lay in her crib and talk to herself until I was ready to get her up. But Eric forced it and I am glad he did. She slept great from the get go and would wake up and get herself a yogurt, play with her toys and come get me like an hour later. Man was it great. Also you look so good. Do you work out while you are pregnant. I can't believe you are almost done and I am hope all goes well. I am so excited for you.

candace said...

Cute post! I'm glad that he's done so well in his toddler bed. I wanted to keep Larissa in her crib as long as we possibly could, but just recently put her in her toddler bed and ...well, she's pretty much been fine, but she does like to get out of bed more than I would like her to!
Love the pic with all the sippy cups. That's how Joseph was.

Rudy said...

Holy Crap, he is looking so grown up!!! He's adorable, love the last picture!!!