Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Sacrament meeting woes


Towards the end of last year, I began to notice that it was rare that we had to take Mason out of sacrament meeting. This doesn't, by any means, mean that he sat nicely on our laps, but at least we could somewhat contain his energy into a semblance of reverence. (haha, at least I hope it's a semblance, in reality I'm sure that we're not fooling anyone). :)

Then our meeting time changed from 9 am to 12:30. Mason usually takes a nap between 12:30 and 1:30...so you can imagine that this change made things a little harder for us. Still, Mason has, for the most part, allowed us to at least sit in sacrament meeting with only an occasional visit to the foyer.

Anyways. I, like most of you, try to bring an assortment of things in our church bag to help keep Mason occupied. He really loves the little cars that I got for him a long time ago because he always tried to play with the other kids' cars that their mothers had brought for them.

As cars will do, sometimes these cars get pushed under the row behind or in front of us. Apparently, David has often whispered to Mason to check and see if he can see the car, and if he can, Mason discreetly (we hope) crawls partway under the bench to get it. David says that if Mason doesn't see it, then he usually stays put.

Not this last Sunday. Before we knew what was happening, Mason was not just under the bench in front of us, but was all of the way in the row in front of us. The people looked back and whispered "he's going in front of us, too!". Luckily, 2 rows in front of us where Mason finally sat up to look around, there was an understanding lady who turned him around and sent him back to us. We later found the lost car under our own bench.

I really do try to pay attention in Sacrament meeting!

The next day, I tried to get Mason to pose nicely with the car that began it all, but he was not cooperating.

5 comments:

Linda said...

Taking care of kids at church! I still sometimes find myself doing the "mommy rock" when I hear a baby cry in church, and my baby is 17!

Emily said...

Sacrament meeting is always so hard. You don't want your kids to be the loud, annoying one! But it is so hard for them to sit still and be so quite for so long! I feel your pain!

Babzanne Barker said...

Now that all my babies are too big to crawl around on the floor I love being entertained by those who are!

Jill Lewis said...

You are not alone!! You've perfectly described our sacrament meetings with Kenneth. Doesn't it make you grateful for nursery the last 2 hours?
Jill
p.s. This "Everything" song playing right now for some reason reminds me of our Colony days. Don't ask me why. I guess I can just picture my roomies busting out a stylin' groovy dance to this :)

Beth said...

LOL, Mason is so cute. We happen to have that same little yellow car, and it's been known to travel under the benches in our chapel too. Maybe it's the car... :)