Thursday, January 31, 2008

Taking advantage of a rare warm day


I love living in Colorado. Despite the fact that we had a stretch where the high did not get out of the teens...you can always count on the advice "If you don't like the weather, wait a little while and it will change." This past Monday, the sun was shining, and you could actually stand to be outside without running for shelter.





Mason and I had to run some errands in the morning, and when we came home, instead of going to the house, Mason really wanted to play outside. It had been so cold lately that I could not refuse! It started with just playing in front of our house...then we decided it would be fun to take a walk. I figured since we were going for a walk anyways, we might as well walk to the park that is close by. Then, I noticed that it was lunch time, so we went inside, got the stroller and packed an improptu picnic lunch. I was so happy that my little boy was getting to play outside for the first time in a long time.




Mason had the greatest time climbing around on the equipment and going down the slide!
Here, he was throwing some snow up in the air in sheer delight!




It wasn't too long before he discovered the little creek and bridge that crosses it near the playground.




I think that it is just human nature to want to throw things into rushing (well maybe it wasn't rushing) but running...water! First, Mason would get a handful of snow and throw it over the side.






He was quite proud of himself.




When I showed him how fun sticks could be...he was entertained for quite a long time.




When it was time to go, I had to drag him away. He fell asleep on the floor when we got home before I even had a chance to put him down for his nap!

8 comments:

Diana said...

I just noticed this post! I didn't even notice it before. I just saw the one about Daniel's blog, and didn't look further. I remember that warm day last week. It was so nice! I thought the next day was going to be the same (I didn't check the forecast, I just assumed), so I sent Alexis to school with just a jacket. It turned out to be one of the coldest days of the week! I felt so bad, and definitley learned my lesson. It looks like you guys had fun at the park!

Meg said...

Your pictures are adorable. So what was considered to be a warm day. I was talking with Eric the other day and said that I am glad we live in California because it really doesn't get cold enough not to go to the park. I mean sometimes we have to bundle up in heavier coats but for the most part the kids can go outside and play without freezing to death. So I can't imagine being cooped up in the house. Though I don't send them outside to often because I am lazy but when we do go out it is great. Sometimes the rain will keep us in but even that isn't freezing. Anyways the point of this story is I am glad I don't live in snow. Mason is adorable. I can't believe how much he has grown up. How are you feeling.

Anonymous said...

aren't parks the best? So many fun things to do. I remember loving to throw sticks in streams, too. We would have races to see whose stick got to the end first.

Annie said...

I agree with your statement about throwing things in rushing water. My husband can never resist!

Beth said...

Aw, Mason is so cute. My favorite part is that he fell asleep on the floor before you could even put him down for a nap. I think it's so great when kids play until they just can't stay awake any longer. :) We are dreaming of nice days to play outside, and I definitely hope to be somewhere warmer this time next year! We did get out on Saturday to play in the snow for a bit - it was in the high 20's - total heat wave compared to what we've had. Mason is adorable, and you're the cutest mom! Getting anxious for #2?

AbiAnn said...

Days like that are priceless during the loooong winter season. The nicest thing about letting them play and play and play at the park is the nice long nap they take when you get home!

Babzanne Barker said...

You're such a good, fun mommy! I sure am tired of winter and can't wait until the twenties are gone for good.

Linda said...

If they ever need someone to give a lesson on how to be a good "Stay-at-home" mother, you need to volunteer!