Monday, December 21, 2009

Saturday before Christmas



So, from these first pictures, you can probably guess what we did on Saturday night. :) Yes, that would be the last Saturday night before Christmas. I really really didn't intend to go this late in the season...but Saturdays are our only night where David and I both don't work...and it just worked out that this was the first time that we could go.

David told me it would be crowded. I agreed with him...but I didn't imagine it would be so crowded that once we got within three blocks of the temple we would spend an additional 50 minutes in traffic just hoping to get near the parking, which at that point we didn't really have much hope of finding any spots.

Carter was asleep for most of it, so that was a blessing. Mason was being really good and was excited to see the temple. He finally started asking to go home...and we almost did...it just seemed hopeless that we would find any parking.

This paragraph might be TMI so if you don't like reading about potty training type experiences...just skip it. :)
Every parent of a toddler knows how much urgency is behind the phrase "I have to go potty!" At least around our house, that usually means we have 2 to 3 minutes to get him to the bathroom before he starts crying because he's trying so hard to hold it and it is just so hard. Poor little guy. Well we heard the familiar "I have to go potty" while we were waiting at a red light in the middle of Salt Lake without any hope of getting anywhere fast, much less a bathroom. David happened to have a McDonald's cup that he quickly emptied and then I had Mason get out of his carseat, (he was pretty confused at first) and yup...he went in the cup. Boys have it so easy. Since we were in standstill traffic, I didn't feel bad having him out of his carseat for those few minutes and it was easy for David to just dump it in the street. Mason was excited that he got to do it and kept telling Carter about it when Carter woke up. We were just relieved to have a possible disaster averted!


Anyways...back to the temple. We were literally on our way home because we did not want to spend the next hour in traffic, moving about 2 car lengths every 5 minutes...when we stumbled upon a huge almost empty parking lot...It was about four blocks away from the temple and completely free of charge. I don't think anyone really knew about it. The walk wasn't bad at all. So we were able to take the boys to see the lights at temple square! It is so beautiful and there's just something about having the backdrop of the temple that makes it extra special. We walked right up to the temple and Mason kept asking if he could go inside. I explained how only when we are a little older can we go inside, but that if he does what Heavenly Father and Mommy and Daddy ask that he will definitely get to go inside. I hope I can help him to keep this sweet desire always.


We also stopped in the visitor center, mainly to warm up and so I could change Carter's diaper. There is a big picture of President Monson in there and Mason was so excited to see it on the way in. On the way out, our sweet little Carter was the one who pointed at the picture and exclaimed "Monson! Monson!" Carter is always quick to point out pictures of Jesus at church and every where he sees them.

On the way home, Mason suddenly asked if we could get President Monson a Christmas gift. He is so sweet! He wondered if he had a house (because if he didn't he thought we should get one for him). I really hope that he will be able to meet our prophet someday because he is always so excited about seeing him.

Despite the traffic problems, I'm really glad that we were able to go and experience the Christmas lights at Temple square. Here are the rest of the pictures. I'm too lazy to organize and caption them.













4 comments:

Diana said...

I am so glad that you guys were able to find a parking spot! That would be so sad if you had to turn around and head home after driving all the way there! I think your "potty emergency" story is so funny. The same thing almost happened to us the other day with Levi. I had a cup all ready to pass back to him, but the he got distracted and was able to hold it until we got home, lol. We can't wait to see you guys on Wednesday! It will be so fun to have you guys here =)

Roger, Christy, Katie and Sophie said...

That is hilarious. I guess that's a god reason NOT to clean the car :) I'm glad you got to go see the lights.

Linsi said...

I'm glad you had a cup in the car and that you got to see the lights!

Meg said...

Don't you hate when you get stuck in traffic like that. we went somewhere were we were two miles from our destination and were stuck for 1 hour. Not happy times. But I am really glad you guys were able to make it. We weren't able to get there this year and I was really bummed. Your boys look so warm and happy. I hope your new bundle comes soon and that we get to see pictures soon. Love ya.