Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Kacianna and her birth story

Kacianna Lily Ford
Born December 30, 2009 at 11:28 pm
Weight: 6 pounds 9 ounces
Height: 18-1/2 inches
Hair: Dark like Mason's so far.

We are happy to announce the birth of our beautiful princess.

Kacianna was not due until the 13th of January so she was 2 weeks early. I guess she wanted to make sure that she had at least an appearance in our 2009 blog book. :)

Here is her birth story for those of you who are interested in that type of stuff...


I did not believe that I was actually going into labor. I had about 24 hours of steady contractions, about 10 minutes apart with some 20-40 minute breaks before I knew this was it. Still, I waited for them to become closer together. They started hurting to the point that I had to stop what I was doing and wait for them to finish around 3 pm. So...I went to the store. :) I had to get milk and things for dinner. THen I sat down to work at 6:30 pm (I work in our home at our computer)...and kept track of the contractions. They were steadily 6 to 7 minutes apart for about an hour, and I had to stop typing completely and wait for them to finish...and so I decided to stop working and really believe that this was happening.

Of course, since it is still the holidays, our baby sitters (my sister and brother and David's brother) were still home for the holidays, so I asked my saint of a friend and former roommate, Christy, to be our backup, not thinking that we would have to use her...after all I had never been quite this early before. She very willingly came and stayed with our boys around 9 pm so we could go to the hospital! THANK YOU CHRISTY! I don't know what we would have done without you!

I always have this fear that they are going to send me home. I think that's why I wait so long. I was relieved to hear that I was at an 8 so I could stay and I could also get an epidural!! I love those things. If you go natural on purpose, you are amazing! I can't imagine going all the way without one...even though if Carter hadn't wanted to come knees first, they were going to make me do it (I was a 10 by the time they got around to checking me after being at the hospital for an hour and a half, but that's a story for 21 months ago.) :)

Anyways. I finished dilating pretty quickly and after being at the hospital for less than two hours, our princess Kacianna Lily Ford was born. She is perfect! She had to go to the NICU for an hour because she had a lot of fluid in her lungs. Luckily, once they aspirated it and gave her oxygen, she was just fine.

We are so happy that Kacianna is here and are enjoying her sweet spirit in our home. So far she sleeps like a champ and is perfect. :)

20 comments:

Katie said...

yay! I'm so glad she is here now :)

Kim said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful. Glad to hear that she is here and healthy.

Julie said...

Congrats! How exciting! Two weeks early! She is beautiful!

Roger, Christy, Katie and Sophie said...

I am so glad I could help!!! ANytime! She is beautiful. I am so glad everything went so well!! Cant't wait to meet her in person.

Jamie W said...

I have been excited to see pictures. She is so pretty! Congrats. Glad you are doing well.

AJ and Cindy said...

we are so glad she is here :) I can't believe you were already at an 8 when you got there! you must be tougher than me, because only being at a 3 was killing me! lol

Meg said...

She is beautiful!!! And I am impressed you made it to an 8. That is pretty much going the whole way so if I were you I would claim I did it natural. And how awesome not to have another c-section. I bet you were happy too. Hope you are getting some rest, though I am sure it is hard with 3 little ones. Good job :)

Babzanne Barker said...

I am so happy that I can be here with you and David and the boys and sweet, adorable Kacianna. It is going to be hard to leave!!

Grandpa Barker said...

She is sooo Adorable. I'm so glad she is here. Her and her cousin Lyla will have so much fun being the same age. Your fear of being sent home must be from when you were born. We got sent back home 3 or 4 times and finally after 48 hours of hard labor they had to use forcepts to encourage you join us. I love you. - Dad

Diana said...

I can't beleive it took me this long to see you had posted this!! I am so excited to meet sweet Kacianna this weekend. I am so glad everything went smoothly for her birth and that she is such a good baby so far! =)

The Layton Family said...

We are so happy for you and your family Kristalyn. It's true what everyone is saying, Kacianna is beautiful!

Erin said...

Congratulations! Yeah for girls. She is so pretty, you have adorable children. I am so happy for you.

KarlyO said...

Congrates Kristalyn! She is beautiful! I love her name!

Rudy said...

Congratulations!!! I didn't even know you were pregnant. I haven't checked the blog in a while! So sorry, miss you so much and your new baby girl is adorable!

Linsi said...

I was so happy and excited for you when David posted on facebook that you had your baby and that you didn't have to have a c-section! I couldn't wait to read about how everything happened. Kacianna is very beautiful, and I love how Kacianna Lily sounds together. That's funny that you were an 8 and thought they would send you home--that's exactly what happened to me. It sure is nice when you are farther along than what you thought. I hope you are all adjusting well.

Mark and Kyra Herbst said...

Kristalyn, congratulations! I am so happy for you. I love having my little girl, and I know you will too. Next time I'm in Utah, we need to try to get together!

Britt said...

Congratulations! She's beautiful.

Katie said...

Congratulations, Kristalyn and fam! She is an angel! That was so kind of her to show up in 2009 so you could claim her on your taxes too!

Olivia said...

Congrats Kristalyn. She is beautiful. You are a strong woman holding on that long. And I'm glad to hear all is well. Look forward to seeing her grow.

AO said...

She was two weeks early and still came in as a champ! Congrats! I'm so glad you made it for the epidural!