Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A Night with out Mom

Last night one of my friend's from the ward planned a girl's night. It was so much fun! We got together, ate dinner, ate chocolate, and pampered ourselves with foot massages and masks. It was nice to be able to sit and relax and not have to worry about anyone running around and getting into things that he shouldn't or needing to be held etc. I was gone for only a few hours.

When I came into the house, Mason and David were sitting on the couch, waiting for me. The first thing that I noticed was that an entire box of kleenex's was strewn in front of the coffee table. They were all scrunched up and many were shredded. I said something like "wow, you guys have been having fun". David looked up, very tiredly and said "that's not half of it!" Uh oh. I immediately knew that I would have a surprise waiting for me in the kitchen. I hesitantly walked over, and my suspicions were confirmed. There was shells and cheese mixed with broccoli all over the floor, Mason's chair, and the table. By this time Mason had realized that I had come home and had not given him a hello hug yet, so, of course, being exhausted, he couldn't handle this fact and had thrown himself on the ground and was screaming.

Upon closer examination, I noticed that crunched up potato chips were mixed with the kleenex's on the living room floor. Apparently Mason had discovered the big multi-pack of chips that I had just bought for David's lunches in the closet. David described it as Mason half pushing the bag across the floor, half sliding on top of the bag, like he was on a "hovercraft". He then became hysterical until David let him have his own bag of chips.

We have been having a problem with ants in our kitchen, so I couldn't just leave all of that delicious ant food on the floor, so, instead of putting Mason down, I decided to at least pick up the floor. Mason sat and helped. David said that he had only been interested in throwing the shells on the floor and not eating them earlier. Well, this time, he was very interested in eating as many cold shells as he could off of the floor. At least he was semi-helping.

To David's credit, he was feeling pretty sick and had stayed home from work that day. He felt bad that the house was such a mess, but said he didn't have the energy to stop Mason. I was grateful that he at least cleaned him up from the Shells and Cheese and gotten his jammies on him. :)

Unfortunately, I didn't think to photograph the mess, which, I know, would have made a much more interesting post.

I do have to say that cleaning up was not nearly so bad as it would have been if I had been there to witness the mess-making. I know it was because I had just been laughing and enjoying myself with friends. This is proof to me that a mom needs to go out once in awhile. It makes her appreciate the little mess maker all the more.

1 comment:

Tamie said...

Amen, amen and amen to that one. We've been starting girl's night out once a month. it is a uch needed break for us mom's don't forget it!!!!!! you're always welcom to come if you want, just give me your e-mail and i'll send you one when we are having the next one. yes, pictures would have been great, but i've got a pretty clear picture in my head, me being in the same situation many a time. :)